Publications & Forms

Student Insurance

School Injuries and Insurance

Parents and guardians are generally responsible for paying the cost of medical treatment for injured students, including any transport costs. Most medical costs will be refundable by Medicare. If you are a member of an ambulance or health insurance fund, you may also be able to claim transport or other expenses from the fund.

Personal property is often brought to school by students, staff and visitors. This can include mobile phones, calculators, toys, sporting equipment and cars parked on school premises. The Department of Education and Early Childhood Development does not hold insurance for personal property brought to schools, does not hold accident insurance for school students and it has no capacity to pay for any loss or damage to such property.

Is other insurance cover available? Yes.

The Department is aware of two insurers, 

JUA Underwriting Agency Pty Ltd


Willis Australia Ltd

which provide accident insurance policies for students. These policies provide specific benefits for students who are injured in accidents for a reasonable low cost. Other insurers may also provide a similar policy.

Other Links